Monday 18 March 2019

Theory

There's a Twitter account I follow and a Tweet last week happened to catch my eye.


If you have the sound on you might have recognised Baba O'Riley and you might even recognise the meme, though I confess I find this example a particuarly obscure rendering. But never mind that -

- what's this?


It's this.

I've never come across that cover before.

I've never come across the position before either, though I've been close once or twice.



How do we get there? Maybe via the Vienna or Bishop's Opening, less plausibly a Petroff with 3 Nc3, so let's assume something like 1. e4 e5 2. Nc3 Bf6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. Nf3 and now Black has had a punt with 4...O-O?!. You can play around with that position yourself, but I'd have left the treble clef and the mezzo-forte where they were for a little bit longer.

As it happens you can also see the chess theme on the cover of the abridged version, though it's not so interesting


and if you recognised The Who, but not the music that they interrupted, it's Beethoven.


Take it away, Daniel Barenboim.

No comments: